What Happens?

  • Pets often get bites and stings to their head and mouth from being curious of bugs
  • Most bites and stings are non-life threatening, but in rare cases they can be more serious 


What Does It Look Like?

  • Mild
    • Local swelling
    • Pain
  • Moderate
    • Hives over body
    • Facial Swelling
  • Severe
    • Anaphylaxis 
    • Shock


What Do You Do?

  • Remove stinger if present using tweezers from the bag
  • A salve can be made from baking soda and water and applied to the sting area to neutralize the acidic venom
  • OTC Benadryl can be give at 1mg/lb every 12 hours (adult benadryl is 25mg)
  • Mild Reactions - cold compress if swelling is present
  • Moderate/Severe Reactions - see your veterinarian 
  • Do not give Ibuprofen, Aleve, or Tylenol - they can be toxic to your pet