INSECT STINGS/BITES (INCLUDING SPIDERS/SCORPIONS)
- Pets often get bites and stings to their head and mouth from being curious of bugs
- Most bites and stings are non-life threatening, but in rare cases they can be more serious
What Does It Look Like?
- Local swelling
- Hives over body
- Facial Swelling
What Do You Do?
- Remove stinger if present using tweezers from the bag
- A salve can be made from baking soda and water and applied to the sting area to neutralize the acidic venom
- OTC Benadryl can be give at 1mg/lb every 12 hours (adult benadryl is 25mg)
- Mild Reactions - cold compress if swelling is present
- Moderate/Severe Reactions - see your veterinarian
- Do not give Ibuprofen, Aleve, or Tylenol - they can be toxic to your pet