What Happens?

  • Poisons and toxins can enter the body through ingestion, inhalation, and skin contact and all act differently than others on how they affect the body
  • Many times pet owners are unsure if the pet was in contact with poison and are treating based on symptoms.
  • Treatment for different poisons depends on how they affect the boday.


What Does It Look Like?

  • Poison can present with almost any symptoms depending on type of poison
    • Rat poison - abnormal bruising and bleeding
    • Antifreeze - vomiting, lethargy, and urinary changes
    • Oleander Ingestion - rapid heart rate and fainting
    • Drugs - usually presents with similar effects/symptoms as humans


What Do You Do?

  • Call the ASPCA Poison Control Center - 1-888-426-4436
  • Do not induce vomiting if the substance is caustic like bleach, cleaner, etc
  • If instructed to induce vomiting, use the 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in your bag.  You can give 1 teaspoon (5ml) per 5 lbs of weight up to a max of 3 teaspoons.
  • If the toxin was inhaled, get your pet into fresh air.  If the toxin was from skin contact, bathe gently with water and a mild dish soap
  • Seek out veterinary care ASAP