- Choking is when something is blocking the ability to breathe.
- It can be caused by a foreign body (ie food or piece of toy) or compression like swelling induced by trauma.
What Does It Look Like?
- Pets that are choking can either be conscious or unconscious.
- Usually with choking, it is difficult for the pet to inhale (breath in)
- Pet may make a gagging sound
What Do You Do?
- If conscious, calm pet down and transport to a veterinarian ASAP
- If the pet is unconscious, carefully use your finger to sweep the back of the throat and remove any possible foreign body
- If the pet is not breathing, begin rescue breathing (see CPR section)