- Hypothermia usually occurs because pets are either outside during extreme temperatures for some reason or have fallen into freezing water
- As the body temperature drops, body functions begin to shut down and damage occurs
What Does It Look Like?
- Pets are usually presented with shivering, weak pulses, and pale/blue gums.
- You can use the thermometer in your bag to check a temperature rectally - anything less than 100F is considered abnormal
What Do You Do?
- Wrap the pet in warm blankets or the emergency blanket in this kit. You can warm towels in the dryer and even use water bottles with warm water.
- Do not use hot water - it can burn them and cause them to warm too quickly/
- Recheck the temperature often until pet reaches normal temperature
- Seek care from a veterinarian as soon as possible.